Trimble County Excerpt of Obituaries

 A miscellany of unrelated newspaper clippings contributed to TCHS.  

Some items are undated while others bear the dates of death and interment within the notice itself.




Mrs. Mary McLoughten Graves was born April 12, 1886; departed this life in Madison, Indiana, November 4, 1909. She was married to Thomas Graves, of Carroll County, Ky., and to them were born six children -- James, John, William, George, Ernest, and Kate -- the latter now being Mrs. Rose. The husband and all of the children, save John, survive the mother and wife.

Sister Graves united with the Mt. Tabor Methodist Church a number of years ago and was a member of the Hopewell Methodist Church when it stood in Hunter's Bottom.

In a sketch that was written by Mrs Lida E. Graves and handed to me, the following was given of her; 'She was a kind and loving mother and an affectionate neighbor. She bore her sickness.


Mr. A.W. HUDSON (1911)

One of Trimble's Very Best Citizens Enters His Eternal Reward

"Oh to you that joys of life do cling

Ask not of death: "Where is thy sting?

There is a sacred holy spot --

A mond in Moffett cemetery lot

Where lies the one you loved so much

Wher earth's fingers reaches Heaven's touch."


Just at the hour of the morning when the sun was most resplendant, and before the tired day had prepared to sink into night, the spirit of another was called from its earthy tenement to other realms--back to God who gave it--to awake with the morning's break on life's eternal shore.


At eleven o'clock Monday morning (October 9th, 1911) the beckoning hand reached forth and claimed all that was mortal of Mr. Abner W. Hudson, who died at the home of his son-in-law, Mr. D.T. Voiers, in Hunter's Bottom, after only a few days' serious illness, and the entire county of Trimble was grieved to learn of his death. Funeral services were conducted at the Milton Methodist Church Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock by Elder R.M. Giddens and Rev. Josiah Godbey, and it was probably the largest attended funeral ever held in Milton--the church being inadequate to contain the sympathetic friends--and there were seventy conveyances from the church to the cemetery--showing the love, esteem and respect in which the deceased was held--the floral tribute being most beautiful indeed.

Mr. A.W. Hudson was born in Trimble County November 16th, 1843, and the day he was 21 years of age, November 16th, 1864, he was united in marriage to Miss Isabella Giddens, of this county. to the union five children were born, three sons and two daughters, four of whom, with the bosom companion of forty-seven years, survive, namely Messrs. James W., Harry W., and Robert M. Hudson and Mrs. D.T. Voiers, his other daughter, Mrs. Alfred Chandler, having died a few years ago.

In early years he united with the Methodist Church and his life was a consistent Christian one. Energy and intelligence contributed largely to the character of this noble man, and measured by so much of excellence he was beloved and held in the highest regard by all who knew him.

Only ten days ago Mr. William Hudson, a brother, died in Louisville and his remains were brought here for interment, and Mr. A.W. Hudson attended the funeral, little thinking that he would so soon follow into the beautiful beyond. He is survived by one brother and five sisters -- Mr. F.W. Hudson, Mrs. J.H. Barnes, Mrs. Dolly Willis, Mrs. Beecher Joyce, Mrs. Maggie Ward, and Mrs. Alva Joyce.



Robert Stanley died Feb. 10, 1913, at his home near Sulphur after a brief illness of ureamic poisoning. He was the son of Newton Stanley. Had he lived until May 26th he would have been 20 years of age. He had been in the doctor's care since last December, but was confined to his bed only three days.

All who knew Robert loved him. He was a kind and loving boy, just entering into manhood. He made a confession a few years ago, but had never united with any church. He leaves a broken-hearted father and one sister to mourn their loss. His mother died when he was only three years old. 

Funeral services were held at the Christian church at Sulphur Tuesday at one 'clock by Rev. R.S. Wilson and the body was buried at Sulphur cemetery by the side of his mother.

Dear Robert, he has left us:

    He has gone on before,

He is waiting with the angels

    On that bright and happy shore

We miss his comng footsteps

     We see his empty chair

The home is so lonely

     Since Robert isn't there

Weep not for Robert

     For the Lord hath said

We shall meet him

     Where no farewell tears are shed. (Written by his cousin, Lizzie Wright)


November 1915:  Twelve-Year Old Daugher Dead
Pearl, the twelve-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Charlie Williamson, of this place, died at their home sunday, January 24, at 4 a.m. She had been ill for some time with complication of diseases. Owing to her weakened conditioned and diseased heart she was unable to survive the ravages of pneumonia which developed several days ago.

Funeral services were held by Rev. Edward Allen at the Methodist church Tuesday at 11 o'clock. The pall bearers were members of her class in school. they were Kenneth Lee, Oscar Colbert, Fred Hosley, Tandy Leach, Harold Moore, and Duncan Logan. The remainder of the class carried flowers in front of the casket. The uncontrollable grief of her little classmates was an evidence of the love they bore for her. Burial was made in the I.O.O.F. cemetery.

Pearl was an unusually beloved child, possessing many of th equalities which drew others closely to her.  She was a member of the Methodist church and in both her school and her home life showed the true spirit of christianity.

This is the first break in the family chain. The surviving children are Mrs. Zilpah Freeman, Virgie, Leslie, and Frances Williamson. The parents and sisters and brother, although almost heartbroken, have the staunch assurance that Pearl is now in that beautiful home prepared for the chosen of God.



Mrs. Gayle Townsend Joyce, wife of Mr. Frank Joyce, died at her home in Bedford last Friday afternoon January 14, 1916 at 4 o'clock after a lingering illness of tuberculosis. Funeral services were conducted by Rev. E.R. Osborne, assisted by Rev. Edw. Allen of the Methodist Church were held at the Baptist Church in Bedford Sunday afternoon at 3 o'clock. Interment was in the I.O.O.F. Cemetery.

Mrs. Joyce was the daughter of James and Sarah A. Townsend, of Indiana, and was 56 years of age, having been born October 20, 1859. On December 31, 1876, she was united in marriage to Mr. Frank Joyce, and this union was blessed with five children, all of whom are living. They are: Mrs. Eugene Mosley and Miss Denzil Joyce of Bedford; Mrs. Frank Berry of Indianapolis; Mrs. Clarence Holderfield of Louisville; and Mr. Roy Joyce, of this county.

Her mother, 81 years old and feeble in health, lives at Chrising, Indiana. Her sister, Mrs. Mary Ramey, also lives at Chrising while her half-brother, A.J. Gray, is an attorney at Huntingburg, Ind.

Mrs. Joyce had belonged to the Baptist church since girlhood, and at the time of her death was a member of Pleasant View, at Wise's Landing. Although frail in body during her entire married life, she endured suffering patiently, and unto the end lived a life consistent with her profession and kept the faith as becomes a child of God.

In her death the husband has lost a faithful and dutiful wife, her children a loving mother, society a kind and helpful friend, and, the church a true and devout member. What example of womanly virtue does such a life inspire! Truly, can it be said of her, "She hath done what she could." No words of sympathy can mitigate the grief or assuage the sorrow of the bereft ones, but the record of her life is a rich heritage to those she leaves behind, whom she would have to so live that all finally might enjoy a blessed reunion in the home beyond the skies.



Son's Death 24 Hours After Funeral Services for Father. Pneumonia Cause of Death.

In the Bedford Christian Church Monday afternoon of this week funeral services were held for Benjamin Curran Lee who passed away at 9:50 Saturday morning in the Kentucky Baptist hospital in Louisville. Pneumonia was the immediate cause of death.

Curran, 22 years of age, was a son of the late John G. Lee and Hallie Waller Lee. He was a member of the Bedford Christian Church and a graduate of the Trimble County High School. Since his graduation from high school he had been employed by the State Highway Department and was stationed with a party of engineers in northern Kentucky.

The father, Mr. J.G. Lee, passed away at his home here of a heart attack Wednesday of last week and funeral services were held for him Friday before his son's death on Saturday. Neither father nor son knew the other had passed away.

Curran Lee was one of the finest athletes this county ever produced. Especially during his high school career was an outstanding on the basketball floor, leading his team as captain to victory after victory, including a district championship. His was the honor of being awarded several trophies for sportsmanship, best all round player, and his name was listed on almost every all tournament team picked during his basketball career. Always wearing a smile and with a leadership unexcelled he won his way into the hearts of thousands of basketball and baseball fans, and cherished the devotion of his teammates.

So numerous were his friends that many of them were unable to find a place in the church to attend the last rites, and the profuse display of beautiful flowers bore testimony of the love and affection in the hearts of his people.

The funeral services for him were conducted by Rev. C.G. Dearing and Elder J.M. Hampton, assisted by Rev. I.H. Driskell. Interment was in the I.O.O.F. Cemetery.

Active pall bearers were Maurice Clem, Charlie McCain, Graham Spillman, Bruce Owen Hutcher son, Robert Wood, and Harry Cutshaw. Honorary pall bearers included sixteen members of the highway department party with whom he was employed.

Curran is survived by two brothers, Messrs. Kenneth and Charles Lee of Akron, Ohio; two sisters, Mrs. George Fields of Indianapolis, and Miss LaVerne Lee of Pella, Iowa; four uncles, Mr. R.E. Lee of Bedford, Mr. Jess Lee of Danville, Ill. and Messrs. Joe and Hurley Lee of Indianapolis; an aunt, Mrs. Dick Van Zante of Pella, Iowa; two great aunts, Mrs. Elva Cutshaw and Mrs. Mollie Cook; and the step-mother Mrs. Georgia Lee, besides a host of other relatives, all of whom have the sincere sympathy of their many friends in the dark time through which they have passed.



Mr. Frank PITTMAN died at the hospital in Cincinnati early Sunday morning after a lingering illness.  The body was brought to the home of his father-in-law, Mr William TAYLOR, Sunday night.  He was 22 years old.

Funeral services were held at Providence Baptist Church Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock by the Baptist minister at Carrollton and burial was in the cemetery at Campbellsburg.

Two years ago this fall he was married to Miss Ethel Taylor, who survives him.  He is also survived by his father, Mr. William PITTMAN and three sisters, Mrs. Vernon ADAMS, of Carrollton; Mrs. Myra CONNER, of Greenwood, Ind., and Miss Martha PITTMAN, of Indianapolis.

The death of Frank PITTMAN is mourned by many friends in this county. He graduated from the Trimble County High School in the Class of 1924, and afterward taught school.  He was well thought of because of his quiet manner and friendly disposition.  He was a member of the Baptist Church at Antioch.